Monday, March 10, 2008

Che Guevara and Jim Morison



All of us as we go through life make assumptions but the biggest and I guess the no brainer assumption I have seen most people do is that Che Guevara is a Rock Star. It all began in college. There was a room in the hostel which was popular for multiple reasons however that room introduced me to two characters, Jim Morison and Che Guevara. I noticed these two characters both legends in their own fields practically in every pub I was at. And the best part was that their posters were always together just inseparable brothers and at times joined by Bob Marley when space was available. I never understood this. I have heard people say the funniest things about him; in fact one colleague of mine had a shirt with the caption "Che - Groovy Star". Now how on earth is a revolutionary a Groovy star? A man most people believe was "the person of the 20th century" along with Gandhi finds himself in a smoky pub. Would anyone dare put Gandhi’s poster next to Ozy Osborne and call him a rock star? I don’t think so. I am pretty sure his real story would impress you more than the fictional story that you may have in your head.

“Dear Che please forgive these fools, for they know not what they smoke”

1 comment:

Vicky Nanjappa said...

great one. loved the last line. The very idea of putting such great men together only goes on to show the lack of depth the world has. hald baked knowledge and they think they are the next stars. well said MR Coorg although i never knew that there were people with brains in your part of the country